Special Educational Needs and Disabilities


East-the-Water Primary School supports inclusion for all of our children. We will do our best to ensure that the necessary provision is made for any pupil who has special educational needs and disabilities (henceforth SEND) and that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school, both academically and socially. We are proud of our thriving reputation and wide experience in enabling children with a wide range of learning and physical delays, difficulties and disabilities to succeed.


Definition of Special Educational Needs

A child or young person has Special Educational Needs (henceforth SEN) if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.  A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty if he or she:

(a)   Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or

(b)   Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions. (taken from the SEN Code of Practice (2014, p 4)


Definition of Disability

There are 3 areas in the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 that point to someone being disabled:

  • The medical condition itself
  • Its effect of the condition on the person’s daily life – it needs to be substantial
  • Its length - it needs to last for a year or more 

There are also two more groups but they do not have to prove their condition has a substantial adverse effect on their lives: 

  • Those whose treatment control the effect of the condition e.g. those on medication for epilepsy which is necessary to control the fits.
  • Those with cancer, HIV infection, severe disfigurement  and conditions such as muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis


What sorts of things does the law ask schools to do in regards to those with disabilities?

Accessibility Action Plan 2019-2021


The Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (henceforth SENDCo) is Mrs Deana Smith

Please view our SEND Policy 2020


SEND Glossary

Lots of specialist words and terms and abbreviations used in documents about SEND are unfamiliar to many parents and carers. This glossary will hopefully help clarify some of these. If you feel something is missing from this list, please contact Deana Smith who will add it at admin@east-the-water.devon.sch.uk

Please click on this hyperlink to access the Glossary


SEN Information Report (updated 08.06.2020)

A school must publish a SEN Information Report on its website. By law, the following information must be included. This SEN Information Report is East-the-Water Primary School’s ‘Local Offer’ – that is the provision that our school provides for SEN pupils.  Devon also has its own Local Offer which can be accessed via this hyperlink: Devon County Council Local Offer. Further information about this is given under our SEN Information Report. 


Please click on any of these questions below to find out more about East-the-Water Primary School’s Local Offer: 


What kinds of SEN are provided for at East-the-Water Primary School?

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special needs?

How does East-the-Water Primary School plan and review the support for pupils with SEN?

How will staff teach and support my child?

How will the school and parent/carers know how children are doing?

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

How are resources allocated and matched to my child’s special educational needs?

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

What expertise and training do staff have to help them support children with SEN?

Who do I contact in the school if I have a concern as a parent or I am not happy about something?

How does the SEND Governor support children and families of children with SEND in the school?

Are there any support services that can help me as a parent of a child with SEN?

How will you prepare and support my child with transitions?

What is the Local Offer?

To optimise your experience on our website we use cookies.
Learn more.